Can we move faster than a virus?
March 13, 2020
To watch this update instead, here's the video
Last week I was talking about the lack of testing on COVID-19, my background in DNA tests, and a call to action.
An hour after I sent that update I got a note from my friend Walter De Brouwer, a serial entrepreneur and medical innovator. He said, "Yes, let's make this happen, let's work together move the needle on COVID-19 testing". I called up my friend Eri Gentry. She recently joined the Negative
team as co-founder, and we've worked together for the last 10 years on projects that matter. We're co-founders of BioCurious, the world's first hackerspace for biotech. Today we're launching the COVID Accelerator
Feeling powerless, hopeless, or feel like you don't have the skills or knowledge to help?
This is the moment of our generation. 10 years from now, what will you say you did?
- Are you a programmer? How can you use your skills to expedite diagnosis, testing, and communication?
- Hardware expert? Can you drop the cost of expensive diagnostic equipment like ventilators
- Healthcare professional? What new problems or innovations are you seeing that others should know about?
- Designers, can you help millions of people digest overwhelming data and drive calls to action?
- Good at spotting problems? We need you to identify solution areas that people aren’t yet working on.
Eri and I hosted a virtual COVID hackathon on Wednesday night. An excited group of 14 attendees including a bioinformatician, a member of the CDC, biohackers, and programmers. Now we're continuing the work on Slack and launching the COVID Accelerator.
Click here to join the COVID Accelerator on Slack.
Share this message with your network if you know people that want to work on projects to solve COVID-19. Also check out Just One Giant Lab, a huge group of bio hackers focused on molecular diagnostics. And read Flatten the Curve for an introduction to COVID-19.
This is all hands on deck. Let's go save the galaxy.
P.S. Ommmmmm....my mindful friend Dan Walsh is hosting Virtual COVID-19 "Conquer Fear Meditation" on Saturday at 6:30 AM PST. Anyone can join from around the world! Sign up and join us.